Monday, August 17, 2009

the birth story

I began contracting midday Saturday (8/15). These ones still weren't lasting really long but they were a lot more uncomfortable than the random ones I'd been experiencing sporadically over the last week or so. I spent about an hour laying down in bed and had a few during that time. I was quickly reminded about my 44 hour labor with Autumn in which I didn't sleep for almost 3 days. I called my dear friend Jillian and told her that I wouldn't be able to make it to her wedding shower. She was understanding.

My contractions continued into the afternoon but were mostly 8 and 9 minutes apart. My midwife wanted me to abide by the 5-1-1 rule (5 minutes apart, 1 minute long, for an hour). I was nowhere near there! Jason and I decided to drive out to North Bend to drop his truck off for some maintenance since we figured we may not get the chance to do that if the baby came tonight. As we were driving out there (in separate cars), I realized my contractions were getting about 5 minutes apart. On the drive home together, we decided to call Michelle and give her a heads up. She was coming to stay with Autumn when we went to the hospital. Just about the time I would have been contracting consistently for an hour, the next one never came. My emotions ranged from bummed to relieved.

As I recall the next contraction didn't come for an hour or so and they continued that way into the evening until I put Autumn down at 8:00 and then I only had 2 or 3 before I fell asleep around 11:30.

I woke up at 3 in the morning in the worst pain. These contractions were the ones I had to breathe through and I recalled my previous labor vividly. When I couldn't take the pain of them anymore after an hour or so, I went and got into the bathtub hoping that this would soothe my pain as it did before. They were still pretty painful and not slowing down. I timed them to be 4 minutes apart near the end so I got out thinking, "shoot, I think I was supposed to be at the hospital by now." I went and woke Jason up. It was nearly 6:00 and I could hear Autumn stirring. I got my things together and called my midwife around 7:00 and told her I'd be at the hospital by 9:00 since there were a few things at home I wanted to take care of. I cooked Autumn breakfast, loaded the dishwasher, and ate some oatmeal then I went and woke Kellie up and told her she had to be with Autumn until Michelle got here. I kissed Autumn goodbye and we left. Of course Jason had to stop and get himself some McDonald's breakfast on the way so here we are in the drive thru while I'm contracting...good thing they're fast!

So, naturally you'd think that there wouldn't be much traffic on the 405 around 8 in the morning on a Sunday but if you did, then you'd be wrong. Of course this was the weekend that they took 405 down to 1 lane to repave the entire thing and there is a ton of seafair traffic on the road already. This didn't impact us terribly but adds some drama to our story at least.

I appreciate that Jason was a swift driver but didn't feel the need for him to take that parking garage speed bump at full speed. Upon checking in to the hospital they don't let you go past the doors unless you really, truly are in labor. My midwife, Karen, didn't feel it was necessary that we pause as I was having a contraction at that very moment. It was a short while before she came in to check my cervix but when she did and said, "Oh Jamie" I was worried she was going to tell me that I was only 1 1/2 or 2 centimeters dialated since that's around where I was earlier in the week at my appointment and had been 1 the week before. I was at 8. She decided to get me admitted. There was a fear until this point that we would be sent home. You'd be surprised how many people get sent home because their labor isn't progressed enough. I was 41 weeks and felt I had waited long enough anyway.

Karen asked me if I wanted some drugs and I asked her if it was going to go fast and she said yes, it should go pretty fast. So, I said I should be ok. This was a decision I would later wonder about. One of the cons to going drug free is that you don't get a catheter so you still have to get up to use the bathroom but a huge bonus was that you aren't restricted to a crappy jell-o and pudding diet. I was chowing down on a turkey sandwich, salad, and cookies. They got me started on the penicillin drip because I was group B strep (1/3 of pregnancies are). I didn't know that I would have to have two doses and the first dose has to be in for four hours before they give you the second dose. I got my first dose at 9:30 am and started to feel like I could push around noon. My nurses asked me if I could hang on just a little longer. I tried but they decided to get the second dose in my IV a little sooner than four hours. Karen let me move over to my side and start to push at 1:08 just to bring the shoulders down. I turned back over onto my back and started to push for real. From the time I began pushing until she was all the way out was 12 minutes. She was born at 1:20. I felt everything! Moaning helped. I wish I'd known that the first time around. I would probably have been to embarrassed to cope using that strategy then anyway.

She's beautiful. As soon as she was out, she was laid on my chest looking up at me. I said, "I'm your mommy and I've waited a long time to meet you. I'm so glad you're here. I love you." Jason and I decided on the name Charlee Meadow. The feminine form of Charles after Jason's late uncle Chuck on his mother's side and also his great-grandfather on his father's side. Meadow just fit because her big sister is Autumn Hunter. Jason took Charlee aside and told her she has some big shoes to fill.

No comments:

Post a Comment